Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My Mincraft Server is a Furnace

I don't like many of the "mainstream" computer manufacturers (as anyone who knows me will certainly know), but I am of the belief that there is a special place in hell for the engineers assclowns that design HP laptops. I have used two extensively- the one pictured being the second- and many more in passing along the way; almost all of them have had extensive overheating issues. The first one I owned (circa 2005) actually had the solder on the power connector melt. Three times. After the third, I stopped paying the fools to "fix" the problem.

 

So, having established the incompetence of HP, it comes as no shock that the dedicated laptop I run my Minecraft server on is having heating issues. Though I had initially thought it was a CPU issue, it turns out that I'm looking at a GPU problem instead. That's wonderful- particularly given that I don't even run X11 on the thing.

 

The proposed solution in the image above is propping it up on as many case fans as I can find. Seems to work. Now I just have to find out if it's Dynmap running on my server that's to blame. Not that it should've doing any of this anyway. Great. I love opening HP's hardware.

 

No comments: